A Camper With A Backsplash

Hello Friends!

I’ve been so eager to post this blog with before and after pictures of our pop up camper! Michael and I worked really hard and spent so much time remodeling the camper to make it feel like home to us. After all this is where we are going to be living for 2 months straight, we wanted to make it as comfortable as possible! So without further adieu, here is the place we call home! (Click on the pictures to enlarge them and get the full effect)

Before
He looks thrilled doesn’t he? LOL

Adding a backsplash

Packing efficiently. It may look messy but I promise it’s organized!
Michael made new cabinet doors, we painted the cabinet structures white, put in the cutest new door handles from Anthropology, and installed new flooring. I also reupholstered the cushions and curtains.

Disregard the gigantic AC Unit LOL! The camper AC Units that attach to the top of the roof vent were just too ding dang expensive so we had to settle with this! But hey! AC is AC! Can’t complain!

And I painted the top of our stove green! Just to add some more charm…and to cover up the rust spots. πŸ™‚

This is my favorite “After” picture. All the colors just make my heart melt! And it feels like home πŸ™‚
Life is beautiful! and I am a happy camper!
(So glad I was able to find somewhere for my magnet to go..It’s the little things)

Comments

1. says

Does your backsplash fold down or slide down somehow? It's looke fantastic but it seems like it would be in the way when you collapse the camper. I'm trying to figure out how you have it mounted. Thanks!

• says

Hi DW!

Our camper folds down and slides in. If you look in the old pictures you will see a small piece that sticks up from behind the counter when the sink is upright and in position for use. When you fold the sink and counter down (in order to pack down the camper) that piece that sticks up is used to stabilize the countertop and acts as a “leg” that stands on the floor of the camper when the counter and sink is folded down. We detached that “Piece” and added a wider piece of wood (same length however as the original piece) to the back of the counter. From there we installed the backsplash onto the wider piece of wood. When folding the counter and sink down the new wider piece of wood still acts as a leg that stands on the floor. Hope that makes since! Let me know if you have any questions!

2. says

I would love to get more specifics on how you made the backsplash. Love it. Also same question as DW, how does it stow away when you close the pop-up?

• says

Hi Wendi!

• says

Hi Carry!

3. Denise says

We have a Fleetwood Pop Trailer too. Haven’t started the remodel yet but all of you have great ideas and tips and tricks! We also bought the portable AC unit you show here….do not fret this little gem is used in our pop up trailer and our express cruiser boat! Nice and easy to use and it works like a charm for a fraction of what air conditioning would cost to install in both things. πŸ˜‰

4. Mandy says

First off, I love what you have done with your camper! We have a similar camper with the same corner cushions. I have researched extensively on how to reupholster these curved cushions, to no avail. Could you provide details or pictures on how you were able to tackle your project?

• says

Hi Mandy,

I just took apart the original cushion covers by unstitching the seams. I used the undone, open, original covers as a “stencil” to use with the new fabric. I kinda just went for it. I had never really sewed before so it was all trial and error for me.

5. Laura says

Hi,
    May I ask how the backsplash is constructed? Is that the peel and stick tiles and what is the backboard made of? Is it something store bought? Thanks!

• says

Hi Laura,

The backsplash is real tile.

Our camper folds down and slides in. If you look in the old pictures you will see a small piece that sticks up from behind the counter when the sink is upright and in position for use. When you fold the sink and counter down (in order to pack down the camper) that piece that sticks up is used to stabilize the countertop and acts as a β€œleg” that stands on the floor of the camper when the counter and sink is folded down. We detached that β€œPiece” and added a wider piece of wood (same length however as the original piece) to the back of the counter. From there we installed the backsplash onto the wider piece of wood. When folding the counter and sink down the new wider piece of wood still acts as a leg that stands on the floor. Hope that makes since! Let me know if you have any questions!

6. Jeremy says

Hello, I also just picked up a Coleman fleet wood I am planning on purchasing a portable Ac unit like yours and am wondering how you vented it?

• says

With a pop up camper we were able to just lead the vent out of one of the fabric sides of the camper where it hooks underneath the bed when pulled out.

7. Trista says

I love this. I see that you replaced the old pump faucet with a newer version. Can I ask where you found one that would work nicely?